03 June 2006

Prison sentences for six UVF members

Belfast Telegraph

By Ashleigh Wallace
03 June 2006

SIX men caught wearing loyalist paramilitary uniforms in a disused shop on the Monkstown estate were yesterday jailed after admitting professing to belong to the outlawed Ulster Volunteer Force.

The six men and two others were arrested after police using CS gas stormed the empty shop on January 18, 2003. All eight told police they were in the premises for a photo shoot which Mr Justice Girvan yesterday said was to show the UVF was "still in business" with "willing volunteers".

Once inside the disused shop, police officers discovered an array of weapons on show including an Uzi sub-machine gun, a replica sub-machine gun and a Chinese assault rifle. Also on display was UVF paraphernalia.

A total of eight men appeared in the dock of Belfast Crown Court, charged in connection with the raid on the premises.

Six Larne men admitted professing to belong to the UVF and each were handed a prison sentence.

Seven of the eight men in the dock also admitted possession of articles for a purpose connected to terrorism and of possessing intimidation firearms with intent to cause fear of violence, while an eighth man admitted aiding and abetting the two possession charges.

Joseph Crawford (34) from Fairway in Larne was handed a two and a half years concurrent sentence on each of the three charges, and also agreed to a 12 month period of post-custodial supervision.

Larne men Richard Morrow (27) from Lynn Road, 24-year old Dale Magill of Inverview Park and Philip Clarke (24) from Cairngorm Drive were also jailed for two and a half years and agreed to 12 months post-custodial supervision.

John Rolston (32) from Alexander Crescent in Armagh was ordered to serve two years and three months in jail on the three charges while Ian Davidson (27) from Waterfall Road in Larne was handed a two years and two months sentence.

Colin Greer (35) from Ards Park in Monkstown - the keyholder of the disused store - was handed a 12 month concurrent sentence for the two possession charges.

And 25-year-old Robert Anderson, who drove the men from Larne to Monkstown and who admitted aiding and abetting the two possession charges, was handed an 11 month jail term.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?