15 May 2006

New probe called for in Dublin - Monaghan bombings

Daily Ireland


By David Lynch
15/05/2006

Realtives of people killed in the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings have renewed their appeal for a full public inquiry into the attacks.
Speaking to Daily Ireland before the 32nd anniversary of the bombings later this week, campaign group Justice for the Forgotten, which represents relatives of the 33 people killed, said it was vital that an inquiry be established into the truth surrounding their loved ones’ deaths. Wednesday marks the anniversary of the attacks which resulted in the biggest loss of life in a single day of the Troubles.
Last week in the Dáil, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern would not commit himself to the establishment of a public inquiry.
However, Margaret Urwin, secretary of Justice for the Forgotten, has urged the government to have a rethink.
“It cannot stay out there in the ether that maybe another friendly state bombed our citizens on the streets of our capital city and in the town of Monaghan,” she said.
“I think that it is essential that the Irish government comes around to establishing a public inquiry.”
A report by senior counsel Patrick McEntee into the 1974 Garda investigation is expected to be with the cabinet by the end of the month.
Ms Urwin said she was “hopeful” Mr McEntee will recommend the establishment of a full public inquiry.
“We always have to be hopeful,” she said. “If that is not recommended, a full public inquiry still needs to be established.”
Ms Urwin said she believed the perpetrators of the attack were part of a gang that included members of the UDR, RUC and loyalist paramilitaries, ‘probably’ under the direction of British intelligence.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?