23 April 2006

Second man charged over bomb parts find

BN.ie

22/04/2006 - 20:06:56

Police in the North tonight charged a second man in connection with a bomb parts find in Lurgan, County Armagh, earlier this week.

The 27-year-old man will appear before magistrates in Craigavon on Monday on charges of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to cause explosion.

Earlier 22-year-old Daire McKenna, from Lurgan Tarry in Lurgan, appeared at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

The court was told he made no reply when charged with possessing explosives with intent to endanger life.

Magistrates were told that police on Wednesday discovered an ammonium nitrate-based fertiliser and sugar mix which could have been used in a bomb attack.

It was believed the mix was a component for a 250lb car bomb.

Amid tight security in the courtroom, Mr McKenna, who was flanked by police officers in riot gear, was remanded in custody to appear in court next week.

A third man was released tonight, pending reports to the Public Prosecution Service.

A fourth man was also released last night.

Mr McKenna’s solicitor, Paula Collins, today also told Resident Magistrate Mandy Henderson in Craigavon that they were considering lodging a bail application for her client.

Lawyers acting for the men are also taking a judicial review in the High Court over the police’s failure to guarantee that conference rooms in Antrim Police Station, where all four men were questioned, were not bugged.

That hearing is expected to take place in the High Court in Belfast on Monday.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?