29 April 2006

PSNI pays for the most expensive maildrop in history

Daily Ireland

Here’s the thing – and, forgive me, but there’s no other way of putting this: the hoods who are wrecking the streets and homes and cars in the shadow of the famous old Divis Tower are already working for the Trevors

Robin Livingstone
28/04/2006

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usThe PSNI sent a van out round the Lower Falls this week towing one of those portable ad hoarding-type thingies. The message on the board read: “Rat on the rats.” At the same time, a bunch of Trevors went round the doors posting letters.
Before we go into the details of the letter, I have to reveal that I have written a letter of my own, to the Guinness Book of Records no less, nominating this as the most expensive maildrop in the history of modern communications. My local residents’ association did a maildrop recently and paid a handful of young fellas a few quid to spend a couple of hours in the evening doing the needful. Quite why these letters had to be hand-delivered by a battalion of highly-paid and well-armed officers is not entirely clear to me – perhaps they managed to glean some low-grade intelligence as they went – lay-out of hall and living room, existence of security measures, nature of pictures on the wall, that sort of thing. Let’s hope so. Hate to think they went to all that expense for so little.
Anyway, the letters enable local people to do what the ad behind the van told them: “Rat on the rats.” It urged them to write down in the space provided the names and addresses of any young people known to be engaged in anti-social behaviour in the locality so that they can be hit with Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs). This is a splendid idea, of course.
Allowing harassed householders to shop the young thugs who are making their lives a misery, and to do it anonymously, is clearly an excellent idea, but, as ever, it’s so much more complicated than that.
Here’s the thing – and, forgive me, but there’s no other way of putting this: the hoods who are wrecking the streets and homes and cars in the shadow of the famous old Divis Tower are already working for the Trevors.
Now listen, bear with me on this. You think I’m just saying that because I don’t like the PSNI and that I’m forever trying to score a cheap point at their expense. This is all true, I freely admit it. But I didn’t find out that the hoods in the Lower Falls are in the pay of the PSNI by stumbling across some secret documents or because one of them admitted to it while hanging upside down in a cattleshed in Co Louth. I found out about it because an officer said it on a radio programme. I should know, I was on the radio programme with him when he said it.
So I think local people should knock up a letter of their own and deliver it to Grosvenor Road barracks – what’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and all that. They could demand to see the list of Lower Falls death drivers, drug dealers, burglars, knife-merchants and general all-round ne’er-do-wells who are effectively PSNI reservists and who will never feel a hand on their collar of their short-sleeved checked Ben Shermans or have bread and water for breakfast on Christmas morning.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?