19 March 2006

McCord: UVF must come clean on killings

Sunday Life

Stephen Breen
19 March 2006

The campaigning father of a UVF murder victim last night urged the terror group to issue public statements on dozens of murders.

Raymond McCord, whose son Raymond Jnr was battered to death in 1997, urged loyalist godfathers to "come clean" about killings committed by the UVF since the 1994 ceasefire.

Mr McCord issued the challenge after UVF leaders in Mid-Ulster last week told anyone with information on the killings of Co Armagh teenagers David McIlwaine and Andrew Robb to contact cops.

The paramilitary organisation also said the brutal murders were not sanctioned by the UVF leadership.

But Mr McCord, who is awaiting the publication of part of Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan's report into his son's murder, branded the UVF's statement as "rubbish".

"I do not believe the UVF's statement last week because I was told the killings of McIlwaine and Robb were sanctioned by a paramilitary leader."

Mr McCord, who will meet with Taoiseach Bertie Ahern next Tuesday to discuss his son's case, wants the UVF to admit that the man he believes murdered his son and other people was an informer.

He also wants to know if UVF men convicted of unsanctioned murders will be admitted to the loyalist wing on Maghaberry Prison.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?