24 March 2006

ALERT: Child dies after swallowing bracelet link

RTÉ

24 March 2006 12:01


Gift bracelet Recalled by Reebok over lead

A child has died from lead poisoning in the US after apparently swallowing a link from a charm bracelet imported by sportswear firm Reebok.

Reebok recalled the gifts following the death of the four-year-old from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The jewellery contains high levels of lead, posing a risk of lead poisoning and adverse health effects to young children.
Advertisement

The company and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission have now recalled the bracelets, which have been in circulation for the past two years.

The Chinese-made bracelets, with a heart-shaped charm, were being given away free by Reebok with purchases of children's footwear.

Up to 145,000 of the gifts were circulated in Britain and Ireland. A further 300,000 were given away in the US.

They are also to be recalled in Canada, the rest of the EU, Asia and Latin America.

Separately, discount retailer Dollar Tree Stores Inc was yesterday recalling 580,000 necklaces and rings due to high levels of lead.

No incidents or injuries had been reported in connection with the Dollar Tree products.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?