22 February 2006

IRA suspect charged over attack on British army base

BN.ie

22/02/2006 - 12:43:52

Prosecutors in Germany today said they had charged a suspected member of the IRA with attempted murder in a 1989 attack on a British military base in Germany.

Leonard Joseph Hardy, 45, from Antrim, Northern Ireland, is also charged with deliberately causing an explosion, federal prosecutors said. He could face a sentence of life imprisonment.

Four others implicated in the attack were convicted of attempted murder in Germany in 1995 and were jailed for between nine and 12 years.

Hardy, who was arrested in August in a hotel in the Spanish resort city of Torremolinos and extradited to Germany last month, is accused of being a member of an IRA “Active Service Unit” that attacked the British army’s Quebec barracks in Osnabruck on June 19, 1989.

Prosecutors say the five wanted to explode several bombs at the barracks but were disturbed by a workman as they tried to lay the charges.

Only one of the bombs exploded, causing damage but hurting no one.

No date has been announced for Hardy’s trial.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?