02 January 2006

Police probe drugs link to loyalist death

Belfast Telegraph

Bloodied body found outside Glasgow shops

By Ashleigh Wallace
02 January 2006

Police in Scotland investigating the murder of a loyalist from Lurgan were last night trying to establish a motive for the weekend killing.

Lindsay Robb (38), who was jailed for his part in a gun-smuggling plot for the UVF, died in what police have described as a "frenzied assault" on a tough housing estate in Glasgow's east end.

One line of enquiry is that the killing may be linked to the local drugs trade. A source said Robb's murder bore all the hallmarks of a drugs-related killing, adding: "This looks likely to be connected to the drugs trade in the city - especially when you consider where the killing took place."

Robb's bloodied body was discovered outside shops in the Ruchazie area of the city around 5.30pm on New Year's Eve.

He was attacked in his Ford Fiesta after dropping friends off outside an off-licence.

Up to 20 officers from Strathclyde Police have been assigned to investigate the Ulster man's killing and witnesses to the attack are being sought.

Police have said the area where he was killed was busy with people preparing for New Year's Eve.

Originally from Lurgan, Robb was handed a ten-year jail term for conspiracy to smuggle arms to the UVF.

Prior to his arrest, he was a member of a Progressive Unionist Party delegation who held discussions with the British Government in the lead-up to the loyalist ceasefire in 1994.

Following an 11-day trial in Glasgow, Robb was found guilty of conspiring to smuggle weapons from Liverpool to the UVF in Northern Ireland via Scotland.

He and others were arrested by police in July, 1995, during a four-day MI5 undercover operation spanning from Scotland to Liverpool.

He was jailed for ten years in Scotland and in 1997 was transferred to Maghaberry jail, moving to the LVF wing.

Robb walked free from prison in January, 1999, as the first LVF prisoner to be released under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, having served four of his ten-year term.

He settled in Scotland after his release and, according to police, has been living with his wife in Airdrie and had been working as a gardener.

Detective chief inspector Alan Buchanan, from the Strathclyde murder investigation team, said he was keeping an open mind about the motive.

The senior officer said: "We certainly have no indication that the reason he was attacked is anything to do with his past activities.

"We're keeping an open mind as to what he was murdered but just now we're appealing for information from any witnesses."

DCI Buchanan added: "These attacks tend not to be random but we don't have any indication that he did know his attacker."

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?