26 November 2005

Dublin/Monaghan bombs compensation almost

BreakingNews.ie

25/11/2005 - 17:46:27

Almost €2m has been paid out in compensation to the victims of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings and their families, it emerged today.

In a reply to a question by Dublin North Central Independent TD Finian McGrath, Minister for Justice Michael McDowell said a total of €1,982,339 had been paid out to the victim’s families, those injured and support services.

A total of 37 people were killed in the atrocities between 1972 and 1974.

Three bus employees died in two explosions in Sackville Place in Dublin in December 1972 and January 1973.

In May 1974 three separate car bombs killed 26 people and an unborn baby in the capital, while seven people died in a fourth blast in Monaghan town on the same day.

Mr McDowell said that in the wake of the Good Friday Agreement a review of the arrangements to meet the needs of people who had suffered as a result of violence in the Northern Ireland conflict had been undertaken.

“As a result of this review, the Remembrance Commission and the scheme of acknowledgement, remembrance and assistance for victims in this jurisdiction of the conflict in Northern Ireland was established on October 29 2003. The scheme was further amended in October 2004.

“Payments which are made to victims or their families in accordance with the terms of the amended scheme are in respect of a death, economic hardship grounds, medical expenses and also towards the provision of counselling expenses.

“In addition the commission funds support groups working with victims of the conflict and their families.

“To date over €3m has been allocated from the scheme and paid to victims, to bereaved families and to victim support services as a result of the conflict in Northern Ireland.

“This includes a donation of €1.25m to the Northern Ireland memorial fund.

“In addition to money paid out under this scheme, awards were made in the past to victims of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings and their families by the criminal injuries compensation tribunal, which was established in 1974.

“Taken together, the total amount paid to date in respect of those who were either killed or injured in the 1972 to 1974 Dublin and 1974 Monaghan bombings and also to the support services dealing with the victims and their families, is €1,982,339,” Mr McDowell said.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?