25 August 2005

Petrol bomb attack 'is sectarian'

BBC

A petrol bomb attack on a house in Ballymoney in County Antrim is being treated as sectarian.

The device, thrown between 2230 and 2300 BST, caused extensive damage to the kitchen of the Castle Park house.

The property suffered smoke damage throughout. The owner discovered the damage when he returned home at about 0100 BST on Thursday.

"Initial inquiries suggest that the incident was sectarian," said a PSNI spokesman.

SDLP North Antrim assembly member Sean Farren said someone could have been killed in the attack.

"Fortunately the occupants were out at the time, but this in no way mitigates the crime of those who used what we know only too well can be a murderous weapon," he said.

"We need to have these people taken off the streets by robust police action."

Sinn Fein's Phillip McGuigan said there had been a sustained campaign of intimidation against nationalists in the area.

"These attacks have been allowed to become the norm because of the ambivalence of many unionist political representatives," he said.

"I want to reiterate my belief that the DUP and others, who sit on forums and commissions with the leaderships of the UDA and UVF, can help bring about an end to these attacks."


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?