13 May 2005

Daily Ireland

**Following this article is a story from the BBC archive on Brian Nelson

Nelson link to four murders

By Ciarán Barnes

A rifle used in the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) murder of two young brothers in Co Armagh 12 years ago was used in at least two other killings, Daily Ireland can reveal.
Rory and Gerard Cairns were shot dead at their home in Bleary in 1993. The brothers were aged 18 and 22.
Daily Ireland has learned that the AK-47 assault rifle used in the shootings was one of hundreds shipped into the North from South Africa by British army double agent Brian Nelson. The same weapon was also used to kill Lurgan republican Sam Marshall in 1990 and Catholic factory worker Gervais Lynch the following year.
For 15 years the security services have failed to make public the ballistics of the AK-47 or reveal to the Cairns, Marshall or Lynch families the history of the weapon.
Relatives of the dead men are convinced this is because it would have proved their loved ones’ murders were a result of loyalist/security agency collusion.
Johnny Marshall, the brother of Sam Marshall, yesterday said he was stunned by news concerning the AK-47.
He said: “This begs the question why did the RUC not provide us with this information a decade ago? Why has it taken 12 years for these ballistics reports to come to light?
“It is clear to me that the RUC have been trying to hide something here.
“Detectives knew that a rifle imported by a double agent was being used to kill people throughout Armagh by another double agent, Robin Jackson, yet they chose to keep this secret.
“If that doesn’t prove collusion existed, I don’t know what does,” added Mr Marshall.
A Police Ombudsman probe into RUC misconduct concerning its investigation into the Cairns’ killings unearthed the history of the AK-47 assault rifle.
The Cairns family were unavailable for comment yesterday.
The Police Ombudsman would not comment yesterday on either the Cairns’ investigation or the history of the weapon used to murder the brothers.
Sam Marshall was murdered by the UVF in 1990, minutes after signing bail at Lurgan RUC barracks. On the day of his death he was believed to have been tailed to and from the barracks by an RUC undercover car.
In January 1991, Gervais Lynch was shot dead in his home near Lurgan, Co Armagh.
His UVF killers calmly opened the back door of his house before shooting him three times.
Two years later, the same loyalist gang murdered Rory and Gerard Cairns at their home.
All four killings are believed to have been carried out by a Portadown UVF gang led by British agent Robin ‘The Jackal’ Jackson, who died of cancer in 1998.
Prior to the UVF receiving its stockpile of weapons from the 1989 Nelson arms shipment, the organisation had not murdered anyone in the north Armagh area for six years.



Dark side of the war

Loyalist gunmen played a brutal part in the conflict

By Peter Taylor
Wednesday, 31 May, 2000

The story of Brian Nelson is one of the murkiest episodes in Britain's secret intelligence war in Northern Ireland.

Brian Nelson: British agent involved in loyalist killings

It's about murder, cover up and collusion between British intelligence and the loyalist paramilitaries, and comes closest to confirming republicans' perennial charge that the British state was complicit in murder and adept at covering it up.

Nelson, a former British soldier from the Shankill Road, was a British agent operating as the intelligence chief of the loyalist paramilitary Ulster Defence Association (UDA), providing the vital intelligence that guided its killers to their targets.

He was directed to do so by the secret army unit for which he worked known as the Force Research Unit - the FRU. The FRU recruited and handled agents. Its crest is a man with a net - its motto "Fishers of Men".

Beyond the law

Astonishingly, the FRU helped Nelson with the intelligence he handed on to the killers. It's a shocking story straight out of the pages of a fantasy thriller but it's true, confirmed in a remarkable interview with "Geoff", one of Nelson's handlers, for our BBC2 series, "Brits".

Tracking him down took months. When it comes to covert operations, the MOD's doors are double-locked and bolted. Geoff admits that Nelson "strayed outside the law at our behest" and feels disgusted that when his activities came to light, he was "hung out to dry" by the Establishment.

He's the first Nelson handler to break his silence. The implications of what he says and the questions raised by it are massive.

The killing of Gerard Slane on 22 September 1988 sheds chilling light on how Nelson operated and shows how fine was the line the FRU trod.

UFF: a cover name used by the UDA

Just after 4am, four masked gunman from the Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF), the UDA's killer wing, sledge-hammered their way into the Slane's house off the Falls Road, and shot Gerard four times in the head.

They claimed that he'd been involved in the killing of one of their own a fortnight earlier. An RUC detective said there was nothing to suggest that he had.

The last words his wife heard were Gerard screaming, "Teresa, it's the "Orangies"!". She rushed out onto the landing and saw her husband lying dead.

Unmasking an agent

Brian Nelson had provided the UFF with the detailed intelligence that had enabled the "hit" to go ahead. He had found Slane's address, checked it in the electoral register, got hold of a photograph and made out a personal file on him - all with the blessing of the FRU.

Nelson was a key figure in the UFF

"Brian Nelson may not have pulled the trigger," Teresa told me, "but to me he was as guilty of my husband's murder as the actual murderers themselves."

Nelson was finally unmasked as an army agent involved in murder in 1990 after John Stevens, then the Deputy Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire, investigated collusion between the security forces and the loyalist paramilitaries.

"He was as guilty of my husband's murder as the actual murderers themselves".
Teresa Slane

Nelson pleaded guilty on five counts of conspiracy to murder - Gerard Slane was one - and sentenced to ten years.

But these charges were suspected to be only the tip of an iceberg of conspiracy and killing that involved Nelson, the FRU and British intelligence.

Geoff first met Brian Nelson at the beginning of 1987. "He seemed quite a nice person. A family man. He told me he hated violence and he didn't agree with the way in which loyalists were carrying out their attacks.

Agent 6137

He saw himself as the spear-point in the thrust against terrorism." That's why in the early 1980s, Nelson had originally offered his services the FRU and became the UDA's intelligence chief in West Belfast.

After two years, he decided to quit and went to work in Germany. Whilst he was away, loyalist killings dramatically increased from four in 1985 to fifteen in 1986. Most of the victims were innocent Catholics.

At the beginning of 1987, the FRU decided to bring him back, re-recruit him and infiltrate him back inside the UDA.

Apparently MI5 was dead against the idea and believed that Nelson should be left where he was. Army intelligence felt differently. Nelson was given a code-name - Agent 6137.

Geoff became his co-handler and was responsible for his resettlement in Belfast. "We brought his family back into this dangerous job, paid the deposit on a house and car and set him up in a taxi firm. We paid him a salary of £100 a month in cash to do this job specifically for us.

" At the time there was a lack of information coming in from the loyalist side and we needed someone to give us that information. They were just killing people and they didn't care who they were. To me Brian Nelson was a patriot doing an extraordinary job."

Again, with surprising rapidity, Nelson rose to become the UDA's intelligence chief for the whole of the province. His orders from the FRU were to encourage the UFF to stop killing innocent Catholics and concentrate its murderous energies on targeting suspected republican terrorists.

The FRU helped Nelson with the intelligence to carry out the killings. "We suggested that he collate all the information and we taught him the rudimentary system of compiling file cards and photographs."

Geoff showed him how to do it. It was naïve of army intelligence to imagine that Nelson could carry out his mission without becoming involved in conspiracies to murder and even in murder itself.

To do otherwise would mean his life expectancy would be short in such a dangerous double game.

Warnings that failed

Theoretically, the FRU encouraged Nelson to focus the UFF's targeting on IRA suspects so it could save lives, the idea being that once it was known that an attack was due to take place, the target could be warned or steps taken to prevent it.

This is how the chain was supposed to work. Nelson would warn Geoff: Geoff would alert his superiors; the FRU would then alert the RUC's Tasking and Coordinating Group (TCG) that comprises all the intelligence agencies from Special Branch to M15.

They then would decide what, if any, action to take. On some occasions the system worked as intended and lives were saved. On many others it did not and lives were lost, sometimes by mistake.

But when Nelson passed on information to his handlers, it wasn't always acted upon. In the case of Gerard Slane, Nelson warned one of Geoff's successors on two occasions that Slane was being targeted, ten days before the attack and finally the day before the attack itself.

Teresa Slane knew nothing of it. She had no warning visit from the RUC and no attempt was made to thwart it. "My husband might have been here today were it not for the RUC," she says bitterly.

Finucance murder remains deeply controversial

But there's no evidence that the RUC ever knew about it. So what happened to the information? Did it get beyond the FRU? Was it sanitised somewhere up the chain? Was a decision taken to let the killers go ahead? Or was the information simply not precise enough?

There are many questions still to be answered, not least why the killers themselves, whose identities Nelson knew, were not arrested and stopped.

But Nelson didn't always pass on the information. Those who came to know him said he also had a passionate hatred for the IRA and a "psychopathic tendency".

This may have inclined him to act on his own as well as with the encouragement of the FRU. Geoff claims Nelson did much of the intelligence work himself and had to do so to maintain his own credibility with the UFF.

Treading a fine line

Geoff was aware that people would get suspicious and his agent's life was on the line every day. But did Geoff personally ever supply him with information? "No, not directly. But if he said, "is that so-and-so's registration, I would say to him, "you don't have that wrong."

It was the beginning of the slippery slope. If that was the case, I asked, and the car owner was killed, weren't he and the FRU complicit in murder? Geoff was matter of fact.

"Well, it's a fine line you walk," he said. I pointed out that in the end Nelson went to gaol for conspiracies to murder. "Yes," he replied, "at our request." Encouraged by him and his colleagues? "Yes". And by the FRU? "Yes". And by British intelligence? "Yes".

As a result, I added, Nelson went to gaol. "Yes and I'm ashamed of it. Brian believed, not that he was bullet proof, but that he had protection from us and that what he was doing, he was doing at our request and therefore he had immunity - and he didn't."

Geoff is bitter. "He saved, in my estimation, dozens of lives. He was essential to the war effort and gave us an insight into the loyalist organisations we never had in the past - and I believe don't have now.

" He was the jewel in the crown. I'm ashamed at the way he's been treated by the Establishment who had used him and guided him and put him in that position. I promised Brian that the Establishment would look after him and it didn't. It let him down and I'm ashamed of that."

Towards the end of his time as handler, Geoff did become concerned at the way that Nelson was behaving and recommended to his superiors that he should be stood down for a while.

But his report was ignored. "I was told that he was too important and that he had to stay in place because of the information coming in was so vital."

Stevens inquiry faces difficult questions

Nelson continued to work as an agent and became involved in even more controversial killings, most prominently that of the lawyer, Pat Finucane, who, like Gerard Slane and many others, was gunned down by the UFF acting on intelligence some of which had been provided by Brian Nelson.

Nelson had provided the killers with a photograph that featured Finucane leaving the court with one of his clients. This remains one of the matters still under investigation by John Stevens, now, eleven years later, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

But Brian Nelson's legacy did not end with his sentencing. He not only distributed his intelligence storehouse to the UFF in Belfast but to its organisation all over the province - and he did so without the knowledge or approval of his handlers.

Likewise, dissemination didn't stop with the UFF. On several occasions, Nelson copied his intelligence material and handed it over to the UFF's loyalist rivals in the UVF and Red Hand Commando.

Nelson spread his net wide with the result that, should the ceasefires end, the loyalist paramilitaries still have a republican hit list provided by a British agent.

There's still one question to be asked. If, when his inquiries are finally complete, Sir John Stevens recommends prosecution of members of the FRU - or higher - on conspiracy charges, will the prosecutions go ahead?

Or will they, like those in the wake of the Stalker inquiry, be conveniently buried "in the national interest". Such are the political dilemmas when covert operations become public.

Peter Taylor's series, Brits, was broadcast in May 2000 as the final part of his trilogy on The Troubles.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?